We spend a whole lot of time worrying, wondering, fretting if they’ll show up or not.
The real question, of course, is will we?
That really IS the real question. Will we leave ourselves? Or will we show up? For each other, for ourselves.
Of the many themes that recur in my work, "showing up", well, shows UP. In every coaching call, speaking gig, interview, showing up shows UP, glaringly loud and proud.
Because in truth? There are no shortcuts to showing up.
And it's a theme I've written about in at least one fifth of the blog posts I've written in the past ten years.
Because, and this bears repeating: There are no shortcuts to showing up.
Yep. Over the past ten years, I've beseeched you, dear reader, and myself to:
"People who show up--regardless of level of achievement, cool kid status, or jargon knowledge--earn the rewards.
They show up with questions, concerns, victories, ideas, experiences, and contributions.
They show up with confidence, with vulnerability, with fear, and with joy.
You don’t go from being an outsider to an insider to a leader by virtue of learning a set of skills or being tapped on the shoulder by a gatekeeper.
You go from outsider to insider to leader by showing up as you want to be seen:
- If you want to be an insider, show up & ask questions about the inside scoop.
- If you want to be a contributor, show up & contribute your story and experience.
- If you want to be an influencer, show up & share your opinions.
- If you want to be a community leader, show up & organize the community by connecting people, ideas, and events.
- If you want to be a powerhouse, show up as the go-to resource, stand strong in your knowledge, be open to new ideas, and use your station to help others.
This applies in communities like ours, in communities like yours, and in the market you sell in.
The way you show up dictates how people see you, your company, and your ability to give them what they need.
Don’t wait for people to call on you, don’t wait until you have it all figured out, don’t wait until you’re cool enough."
Show UP. Because there are no shortcuts.
Tara and I invite you to SHOW UP this thursday (3 EST) to our In the Spotlight w/ Tanya Geisler. Talking about showing up in community AND Taking your Q's.